Where fun meets great food
Sassafras Of Paddington
Established in 1997, Sassafras is a sustainable, dog friendly cafe in a restored worker’s cottage and leafy backyard garden in Paddington, Brisbane. Sassafras is your go-to café for premium coffee, all-day breakfast, brunch & lunch. We offer a great selection of gourmet goodies on our all-day breakfast and lunch menu with plenty of gluten-free and vegan options available. Indulge in our freshly baked cakes, slices and muffins or for something on the healthier side, our freshly squeezed juices and smoothies all made here in our café restaurant in Paddington, Brisbane. Open 7 days a week, pop in today for a delicious breakfast, lunch, brunch and coffee, we’re located on Latrobe Terrace, Paddington opposite the Paddington Central shopping centre.
Our Chef’s Table is a new edition in 2021, offering an intimate experience for 6 to 10 people, focusing on Vintage High Teas, or all out off menu experiences where we pull out all the stops to give you a truly unique experience.
Walk-ins welcome, with no minimum spend, no need to book for small tables either.
Click below to book for tables of 4 to 8 people. We ask for a minimum spend of $20 per person for all bookings. Tables of 8 or more are subject to a credit card hold of $10 per person. Please call us on 07 3369 0600 for larger bookings, or if limited availability online.
On Friday nights the lush backyard garden at Sassafras turns Spanish! We start the afternoon with happy hour from 4pm to 6pm!
We serve our own take on tapas, with a street food focus. The menu is ever changing, you can see what we currently have on offer by clicking the link below.
Grab a glass of tempranillo and enjoy a platter of Jamon serrano, manchego & crusty bread.
Finish the night with a cocktail & churros.
Functions, Events and Graze Boxes
Sassafras is set in an old workers cottage with a beautiful backyard garden and has been a Paddington institution for 25 years. During this time we have celebrated many events often with two and even three generations of the same families.
Whether it’s birthday or engagement party, a high tea hens do or a business brekkie. Perhaps a casual wedding or even a retirement send off, we have a great package for everyone.
We take pride offering a premium casual experience, likened to having an event in your family’s country home & garden, just without all the hassle of doing it yourself.
We have two beautiful areas available for hire. Our chef’s table can cater for intimate celebrations of 6 to 10 people. Or, hire our entire venue, including our lovely garden for exclusive use of up to 90 guests.
Sassafras offers a homely and relaxed atmosphere with delicious food & a licenced bar. But most importantly, amazing service that can cater to suit any style of event you’re after.
Thank you for considering Sassafras.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Contact Chris today to find out more.
Enjoy a Gourmet, Hand-Crafted Meal at Our Cafe in Paddington
Welcome to Sassafras, a cafe in Paddington serving breakfast, brunch and lunch in an unforgettable setting and with an unmistakable passion for quality and sustainability. Originally established in 1997, our dog-friendly breakfast cafe near Brisbane resides in a fully restored worker’s cottage, complete with a leafy green backyard garden space where we host exciting culinary events.
Built to be your go-to destination for all-day breakfast, brunches, and lunch, plus premium coffee and tea selections, Sassafras offers something for everyone in a setting where you can leave the hustle and bustle behind. Start your day off on a high note or enjoy a break and a bite when you need it most at midday. With hand-crafted gourmet selections that include plenty of vegan and gluten-free options, we have something for those craving a bit more decadence, too — freshly baked cakes, muffins, and single slices to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Take this opportunity to learn more about us and how you can make your next breakfast in Brisbane an experience to remember.
Our Story — Where Our Paddington Cafe Began
At Sassafras of Paddington, we’re proud of our heritage — with nearly two and a half decades of service behind us already, we continue to look forward to writing the next chapter of our story. Where did it all begin, and how did we get to where we are today? We invite you to learn a little bit about our story below:
- Picking the right location for our cafe in Paddington or Brisbane was the first and most important decision we had to make. With roots in the farming community, we knew we wanted a place that reflected the historical character of our region — and an old workman’s cottage fit the bill perfectly. We wasted no time moving in and remaking the space into something we could call our own.
- Through a commitment to sustainable practices and a drive to source the highest-quality local ingredients whenever possible, we grew and established Sassafras of Paddington, refining our menu over more than 20 years to provide our clientele with everything from innovative small plates and fresh baked goods to some of the finest premium coffee in Paddington from Bear bones Coffee. The Brisbane breakfast scene hasn’t been the same since.
- With our success came a sense of responsibility. We remain dedicated to our local community, and we give back often. Supporting our neighbours is a vital part of our mission, as is protecting our environment. We minimise food waste and food packaging waste by emphasising the important of local, low-footprint sourcing. By working directly with our farming partners, we gain the freshest, tastiest produce while giving back to our community in tangible ways.
Important Things to Know About Our Garden Cafe
What are some of the important things to know about visiting our Paddington breakfast cafe? Some key elements set us apart, and we’re excited for the opportunity to tell you all about them. Here are a few facts that make us a popular choice:
- We’re very dog friendly. The unique aspects of our location and our beautiful garden make us the perfect place to enjoy your brekky while your four-legged friend enjoys a treat or two as well. Take a look at our menu, and you’ll find a unique section you won’t often see elsewhere — dishes just for your doggo. From lactose-free doggy ice cream to chews that will keep them occupied throughout your meal, we want your furry companion to feel comfortably at home, too.
- We’re conveniently located and easy to find. Our cafe sits on Latrobe Terrace in Paddington, directly opposite the Paddington Central Shopping Centre. Set your GPS and start heading this way — we’ll keep a seat for you. Plan your next breakfast in Paddington now.
- We’re open all 7 days of the week from early morning breakfast through to a “late-ish” lunch. Weekday hours currently run from 6:30 AM to 2:00 PM. We like to sleep on weekends just like you do; Saturday and Sunday hours are usually 8 AM to 2 PM. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions about when we are open.
The Benefits of Making Sassafras of Paddington Your Brunch Cafe of Choice
Whether you want to enjoy a tasty brekky all on your own or you’d like to gather up your closest friends to catch up over coffee, muffins, and more, there are many benefits you’ll enjoy by choosing Sassafras next time you’d like to dine out. Here’s how we’ve made it easy to have a good experience:
- It’s simple to find something for just about any taste on our menu. Whether you only want a few small bites or you’d like to give yourself a much-needed energy boost for the rest of the day, we’re constantly filling our menu with new favourites and keeping things in tune with the seasons.
- Our easy-to-find location in Paddington makes us the perfect destination when you’d like to spend a day unwinding. With plenty of other things to do in the immediate area, we can be your launchpad for a wonderful day.
- We make brunch a stress-free event that’s all about your experience. With homemade spritzes, carefully crafted smoothies, and fresh juices, it’s all about the beverages — and maybe the eggs Benedict, too. Try it on hash browns instead of toast for a smashing brunch success.
What Else Sets Us Apart As More Than a Coffee Shop in Paddington?
Did you know that Sassafras does more than offer breakfast in Paddington, Brisbane? It’s true — for years now, we’ve been enjoying experimenting with transforming our cafe into a space for intimate events and enjoyable alfresco dining experiences. Here’s a quick glimpse at some of the exciting things we’re doing right now:
- Our Chef’s Table is a new edition in 2021, and an exciting one at that. Offering an intimate experience for six to ten people, the Chef’s Table experiences focuses on recreating the unique menus and experiences of vintage high teas from yesteryear.
- Our Chef’s Table also offers an even more individualised dining opportunity. Ask about our off-menu experiences, in which we’ll use our skills in the kitchen and access to local fare to produce a completely unique selection of tastings just for your party. We pull out all the stops for you. Please book in advance, and don’t forget to inform us of any allergies or special preferences in your group so we can plan a menu to be enjoyed by all.
- On Friday nights only, we recreate the experience of walking the streets of Spain with our Spanish Street Kitchen. From tapas to tacos — and a generous happy hour from 4PM to 6PM — it’s the perfect way to end your week on a high note.
The Exciting Options We Offer For Lunch in Paddington
You can always peek at our menu for yourself, but when you’re hungry and in a hurry, it’s always a good idea to know what you might want to order ahead of time. Here’s a quick sneak preview at some of the current lunch favourites our diners love:
- Go vegan or enjoy a gluten-free lunch with our jerk-spiced roasted pumpkin — so packed full of flavour it’s easy to forget that it’s a piece of pumpkin. Accompanied with a delicate leek puree and vegan feta “cheese,” it’s as satisfying a lunch as you’ll find, and healthy too.
- Want to try the jerk seasoning but prefer a bit more meat in your diet? Try the jerk chicken “sammich” topped with house-pickled red onions and cabbage slaw, Swiss cheese, and even a couple of slices of bacon for a unique bite. This flavour combo is out of this world, so don’t miss your chance to try it.
- The “Sassy Reuben” is our take on this all-time classic sandwich, and you’ll find fans all over the world. We smoke our own pastrami right here in-house, then layer it with tangy sauerkraut, sliced Swiss cheese, and a generous drizzle of Russian dressing, all on top of two slices of perfectly baked bread. Sorry, no substitutions on this one — it’s too good all on its own.
Nearby Things to Do After You Enjoy Lunch in Paddington, Brisbane
A key advantage of our location compared to other cafes near Paddington is that you’re never far from other fun things to do. Once you’ve had your fill of our freshly squeezed juices, delectable smoothies, and decadent baked items, you can explore the area and find other interesting opportunities, too. Some of what you could explore includes:
- Explore an almost endless array of boutique shops and find something unique for yourself or give as a gift. With walkable streets lined with shopping opportunities, it won’t take long to find something to love.
- Go antiquing. The history and stories behind Paddington are a big part of what drew us to launch Sassafras here, and you can still find your own slice of it, too. Make your way through some of the best antique stores in Brisbane right near our cafe.
- Enjoy a day out with the dog taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of Paddington. Fill up on brunch at Sassafras, share a treat with your pet, and start off on your adventure.
Discover What Makes Us One of the Best Restaurants in Paddington, QLD Today
With everything you need to know spelled out right here, we hope you’ll choose to visit us soon. Dining with Sassafras of Paddington is easy and enjoyable. Here’s what to do.
Make your booking online today, and reserve space for tables of four or up to eight guests. Please remember we politely request a minimum spend of $20 per guest when you make a booking with our cafe. To hold bookings for parties of eight or more, we require a small credit card hold charged at $10 per person to reserve your spot. There is no minimum spend necessary for walk-ins, and for parties smaller than four, we don’t accept bookings.
Can’t find an open space online, or want to bring an even larger party along to experience the intriguing flavours and enjoyable atmosphere that is unique among Paddington breakfast cafes? Please call Sassafras for friendly help making your booking. We look forward to seeing (and serving) you soon.
Enjoy Gourmet, Vegan and Dairy-Free Food at Our Dog-Friendly Café in Brisbane
We established our dog-friendly café in 1997 to serve the local community, becoming part of the neighbourhood’s day-to-day lives. Arrange for six to ten people to experience our unique Chef’s Table or Vintage High Tea.
The Best Advice You Can Hear Regarding Cafés for Dogs
Our walk-in and booked customers come to our restored worker’s cottage to relish the leafy garden. They catch up with friends, do some work, celebrate, or relax – and bring their welcome dogs.
- Why not take a look at our all-day menu to find out what we have on offer? Our locally sourced, sustainable ingredients include free-range eggs, crisp vegetables, and farm-fresh fruits, to name a few.
- Your best mate will have to decide between the Puppuccino, frothed with lactose-free milk and a handmade biscuit from Coopers Cookies, Hugo’s peanut butter and bacon flavoured single scoop doggy ice cream and the Café Chewie dog from Modern Dog Emporium with which to entertain themselves.
- We go Spanish on Friday nights. Sit outside in our lush yard and take part in happy hour from 4 to 6 pm. Stay on for our street food tapas – pork belly or mushroom tacos with saffron mayo – crusty bread with Spain-inspired dry-cured country ham and sheep’s milk cheese.
Your night out will not be complete without a cocktail and churros – the sweet Spanish snack made up of a strip of fried dough topped with sugar and cinnamon.
Our Dog-Friendly Café in Paddington Functions and Small Events Packages
We serve muffins, freshly baked custom cakes, smoothies, shakes, a range of hot and cold drinks, and premium coffee. Discover our tasty snacks and meals for vegetarians, meat-a-rians, Vegans, and those who are gluten-intolerant.
- Our pets’ café picnic-style breakfast menu includes yogurt and locally sourced honey with seasonal fruit; house-made granola; quiches with a choice of ingredients; mini halloumi, avocado and tomato toasties; mini ricotta hotcakes with strawberries and organic maple, plus freshly squeezed juice, tea, and espresso coffee.
- Lunch main courses comprise vegetables and a choice between mustard glazed medium-rare roast beef, herb and coconut-crusted grilled fish of the day with quinoa tabouleh, and lemon and herb marinated roasted chicken with lime and charred corn. Dessert choices include mango and berry Pavlova and baked, gluten-free cheesecake with seasonal fruits.
- Try the Made to Graze snacks we serve from 2 pm, seven days a week. We dish out gourmand cheese with accompaniments such as freshly baked rolls and bread, salami, baked ham, dips, semi-dried tomatoes, pickles, fruits and nuts, house-baked sweets, and much more.
We also serve buffet dinners from 5 pm for 40 or more guests. Our menu contains barramundi, salmon, prawns, turkey, chicken, roasted pork loin, vegetables, and salads. Feeling peckish yet? If so, give us a call and make a booking for your next cocktail party.